What is Gambrel Roof?
Gambrel roofs are a type of roof that has two slopes on each side. The steep slope is on the shorter end of the roof, and the less steep slope is on the longer end. They are most commonly found in residential buildings and are often used in barns and other agricultural buildings. They are also sometimes used in churches.
Today, gambrel roofs are a popular choice for many homeowners. Due to their distinctive shape and elegant style, they add visual interest to any building or home.
The most obvious benefit of a gambrel roof is that it provides extra space. The slope on the shorter end of the roof is steeper than the slope on the longer end, which means that there is more space beneath the gambrel roof. This extra space can be used for storage, an attic, or even a loft.
Another benefit of gambrel roofs is that they are very strong and durable. The gambrel style was originally designed to withstand heavy snowfall, and gambrel roofs are still known for their strength and durability today.
What to consider when choosing Gambrel roof
If you are considering a gambrel roof for your home or building, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Gambrel roofs can be more expensive than other types of roofs. This is because they require more materials and labor to build.
- Gambrel roofs are not suitable for all climates. In areas with high winds or heavy snowfall, gambrel roofs can be more prone to damage.
- Gambrel roofs can be difficult to install. If you are not experienced in roofing, it is best to hire a professional roofer to install your gambrel roof.
- When installing a gambrel roof, it is important to make sure that the roof is properly ventilated. This will help prevent moisture build-up and mold growth.
- Gambrel roofs require more maintenance than other types of roofs. The extra space beneath the gambrel roof can collect debris, leaves, and twigs. It is important to regularly clean out this debris to ensure that your gambrel roof lasts for many years.
Overall, gambrel roofs can be a great choice for homeowners who are looking for extra space, durability, and style. However, it is important to consider all the pros and cons of gambrel roofing before making your final decision.
Whether you choose to install a gambrel roof on your home or opt for a different type of roofing material, always make sure to work with a reputable and experienced roofer.